Wednesday, June 24, 2009

State Budgets in Crisis

19 states do not have 2010 budgets passed yet, with one week to go before essential services begin to be shut down (title link to the CNN article). Not only have people been living beyond their means, but government as well - which makes sense, since any government is just a group of people. The Bible speaks to money issues, as it does everything else in our society: these are not new problems, or even rare ones. And so some verses, for our lawmakers, and anyone who would heed the Word of God; I know I have to hear these repeatedly to get them hammered into my thick skull. And believe me, I am still learning them:

There is precious treasure and oil in the dwelling of the wise, but a foolish man swallows it up. (Proverbs 21:20, NASB)

The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender. (Proverbs 22:7, NIV)

For THE LOVE OF money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. (I Timothy 6:10, NIV, emphasis mine)

In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ (Acts 20:35, NIV)

Simple rules that can be very tough to follow, and we need to hear them often. Save money in the good times, to cover the bad times. Give, so you might receive - we serve a Mighty God who is ready to bless us in our obedience! Do not love money, but use it wisely.

And... spend less than you make! When was the last time the conversation in government centered on spending less (and sticking to it), versus increasing revenues? More money to spend, without addressing the character flaws that led to the overspending, will always lead to more debt. There is no clever way around this principle.

I am praying for our lawmakers to have wisdom as they finalize these budgets, and I am praying for wisdom as I honestly evaluate my own budget - am I doing what God wants me to do, with my money?

No comments:

Post a Comment