Friday, August 21, 2009

Thoughts on "Inglourious Basterds"

Being a war movie fan, I have been hoping for another good World War 2 film for a while, now.

This is not it.

I called this entry "Thoughts" on the movie, not a review, because I have not seen the movie. Critics are loving this latest Tarantino film - Rotten Tomatoes currently has it at 89% fresh - and yet what is the point?

Ultimately, the tale here is vengeance. Reflecting on this, and the worldview behind it, I realize that vengeance is all they have. Existing as Hollywood does, in a universe devoid of Absolute Truth, there can be no higher purpose for anything. And that includes the graphic violence of this film. What of heroism? Are we lauding common men called upon to do their best in uncommon circumstances? I think of Tom Hanks' character in Saving Private Ryan, a school teacher called to war, doing his duty to the best of his ability.

I don't see any of that from having read about, and watched multiple previews for, Inglourious Basterds. What I see is that our soldiers (Jewish-Americans, led by Brad Pitt) are 'heroes' because they won by being more brutal and dishonorable in their behavior than the Nazis were. The end here is justified by all the gory means; we won, so our cause was just.

I am saddened, because there are amazing tales to tell from the greatest conflict of the 20th century. There are plenty of men whose behavior in those trying times can call us to virtue, to honor, to be our best. Making Hitler seem a buffoon, and our soldiers bloodthirsty monsters, all for sake of entertainment... it is not right.

I would encourage you to skip this movie. Great war movies abound; We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, To End All Wars, Gettysburg, Glory, Sergeant York.

Remember that what is seen cannot be unseen.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the last line for sure! I still have thoughts from some movies I should have NEVER seen!

    ReplyDelete