Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cease Striving... and know that I am God

The darkness writhes; clouds rage across the sky. The full fury of this world's storm is breaking upon us. The very act of drawing breath takes effort; hope is a distant port that can't be seen through the waves and the darkness.

And at exactly this moment - when all that we have left is to strive like we never have, against the darkness, against the powers of this world - we must cease.

Cease, and reflect. Do we not serve the God who created this world, and everything in it? His command to us in Psalms (linked above) holds true to this day. He will be exalted. There is no maybe. This is not negotiable. Even though His ways are not our ways, and we don't understand the plan...

There is a plan.

We serve the Living God, who freed His people from the bonds of slavery in Egypt. He fed them food from his table in the wilderness, when no human hand could have provided for them. He gave them a land three thousand years ago, and then he gave them a land again. And though they are surrounded by enemies to this day, he sustains them. He gave us His Son, and barely three hundred years after Jesus' death, even though the persecution of the Church was legendary, Christianity became the religion of the Western World. Though we are surrounded by troubles - jobs, bills, politics, economics, morality - our God sustains us. At this point you should be out of your chair, yelling and shaking your fist! God has built his Church, and we are of it, and the Gates of Hell will not prevail against us.

And so you will struggle in this world. You will have trials. The enemy will make every effort to break you in body and spirit. But if my God is with me, whom then shall I fear?*

The God that stood with David stands with you:

Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life;
Whom shall I dread?
2When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh,
My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell.
3Though a host encamp against me,
My heart will not fear;
Though war arise against me,
In spite of this I shall be confident.

You are sworn in service to the High King of Heaven. Go forward in His name, and without fear.


*check out the song by Matt Redman, "You Never Let Go"

2 comments:

  1. I was just listening to "You Never Let Go." a little bit ago, and being encouraged by the truth of it. Thanks for the post. It was encouraging in a time when I need it.
    Thanks for posting scriptures to remind us that in these times we can lean on the Lord, and HE is in control! And He does have a plan for us.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles,

    reading this, and the reference to Psalm 27:1-3 I was reminded of a great song: I Will Not Be Moved, by Natalie Grant. Check it out if you have the time.

    Here are the lyrics:

    I have been the wayward child
    I have acted out
    I have questioned Sovereignty
    And had my share of doubt

    And though sometimes my prayers feel like
    They're bouncing off the sky
    The hand I hold won't let me go
    And is the reason why...

    [Chorus:]
    I will stumble
    I will fall down
    But I will not be moved
    I will make mistakes
    I will face heartache
    But I will not be moved

    On Christ the Solid Rock I stand
    All other ground is sinking sand
    I will not be moved

    Bitterness has plagued my heart
    Many times before
    My life has been like broken glass
    And I have kept the score
    Of all my shattered dreams and though it seemed
    That I was far too gone
    My brokenness helped me to see
    It's grace I'm standing on

    [Chorus]

    And the chaos in my life
    Has been a badge I've worn
    Though I have been torn
    I will not be moved

    ReplyDelete